Female Heroes Are For Everyone
International Women's Day is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the role of women, show that we value them, thank the women in our community, and lift up inspiring female rolemodels.
Our campaign ‘Female Heroes are for Everyone’ is inspired by a comic from Damian Alexander, who described how as a boy he connected with girl characters, but soon discovered others made fun of him for liking ‘girls’ things’. This gave him the message that girls were inferior to boys. But OUR message is that female role models can and should inspire all of us!
Here are some ideas that you could do in your local corps or group:
- Ask your corps ‘Who is your female hero?’
- Do an activity that encourages people to thank an important woman in their life
- Give out chocolate bars to women to say thank you
- Give out chocolate bars to men and encourage them to pass it on to a woman to say thanks.
- If you’re up for it, dress up as superheroes!
Our women often work hard without recognition – of course, they don’t do it for the thanks, but it IS special to be able to thank them!
If you’re wondering why The Salvation Army believes it’s so important to lift women up, please feel free to take a deep dive with Female Heroes Are for Everyone,.